Monday's Shoot, Part 1 - Kelsey
If you've been following Soles of Silk through this blog or on X (@SolesofSilk) recently you know that Kelsey and I have been on a tear shooting new content the last few weeks. We originally planned to shoot photos on September 14th and 28th, but decided to meet up for a few hours on September 21st as well. That meant new photos for three consecutive weeks.
Well, now you can make it four.
A couple of weeks ago Leah reached out to me to see if I was open to do a shoot. I told her I could meet her on Monday, October 5. She said she could make that work and we penciled in those plans.
As the days went by an idea popped into my head. Why not see if Kelsey could come by and jump in on some sets with Leah? The two of them had never shot together and both of them like shooting with new people. I ran the idea by both of them and they both liked it.
Our original plans had all of us meeting up early and shooting the two-girl sets first, and doing them outdoors. As the days went by, however, Kelsey said she could come by and shoot indoors if that was what Leah and I were planning to do. That was the plan, so now I'd be shooting Kelsey and Leah together indoors and once Kelsey had to leave, Leah and I would be left to shoot her solo sets. Perfect... Almost!
Since the morning was now open I asked Kelsey if she would like to squeeze in another solo set or two before we all met later that afternoon. I had ordered something for one of her sets that hadn't arrived by last week's shoot, so we had at least one set theme we still needed to do. And I wanted to do it outdoors.
Kelsey was game so now my plans were two sets in the morning with Kelsey. Two team-up sets with Kelsey and Leah in the afternoon. Then two sets with Leah in the evening. Now it was perfect!
Set 1: Flatwoods Monster
The set theme that Kelsey and I had put on hold was based on the Flatwoods Monster. A friend of mine loves cryptids and on a trip through West Virginia a few years ago, we stopped at the Flatwoods Monster Museum in Braxton, W. Va.
Fast forward all these years later and I saw a cute Flatwoods Monster shirt advertised on Facebook and I had to buy it for her. I also bought myself one. Once they arrived I was ready to give it to my friend, but then the idea popped into my head. Why not do a Flatwoods Monster themed set with Kelsey? I asked my friend if she'd mind if I used the shirt in a set before I gave it to her. She didn't as all three of us are friends.
I then ordered Kelsey some red sneakers and red-striped knee high socks to resemble the Flatwoods Monster cheerleader art on the shirt. I decided to go red instead of green like the art to make the colors pop a little more. Lastly, I ordered the Flatwoods Monster plushie to go along with it, which was what we were waiting for.
With having the morning now open and it still being 70 degrees, this worked out perfectly. I was worried that if we waited too long to shoot this one it might be too cold for Kelsey to wear shorts. I have plans the next two weeks and wouldn't be able to shoot with Kelsey like we have been until after then. So I'm glad our plans shifted to work out this way.
Set 2: The Pro
Since I had Kelsey out to shoot one set Monday morning, why not make it two? I had no idea what to do for the second one though. We've shot so many different things the last few weeks. We've done flip flops, lots of sneakers, boots, and all kinds of socks. When looking through the stuff I had that we could use, I came across these black baby doll socks. While they are socks, they're not like anything Kelsey has worn the last few weeks.
Wanting to give her something else to do in the set, I grabbed my copy of The Pro graphic novel and told her to read through it. That's what's opened up on the bench below her legs. If you never read The Pro, give it a look. It's a crude and hilarious take on the superhero genre.
Once we wrapped up this set, Kelsey had to get home to tend to plans she had to do before our shoot later on. While she was taking care of those and Leah was out getting her pedicure, I hit a few stores in preparation for those plans. Be sure to check out Part 2 of this shoot blog once it goes online later today.



Comments
Post a Comment