Monday's Shoot - Bobbie

For the second time this year I made plans with Bobbie to do some photos. She debuted only two months ago with her Fourth of July Sparklers set (Sample 01 / Sample 02) (see blog: "Monday's Shoot - Bobbie"). This time around I had another special set planned for her - the site's annual football themed shoot.

In the days leading up to this shoot I had a little bit of brainstorming to do. In years past I've done numerous hometown themed sets for the site, so coming up with new ideas isn't always easy. For example, here are all the football sets from previous years:


So as you can see, a new idea isn't always the easiest thing to come up with. I've already had a little bit of repeat in the sets above, but overall, I think I've done a good job changing things up. For this year's set, I decided to try a coaching theme.

While I was shopping for set props I was able to find: a purple clipboard, team sticker (for the clipboard), cheap headphones, a whistle, a lanyard, team shoelaces, pens, a shirt, and then I printed up a little playbook. So with all that, you can add a: 2014: Bobbie - Football Coach to the list above.

Shooting this set wasn't as easy as I planned it to be. I've done some shoots out on artificial turf in years past, but this week marked the first week school was back in session. Going to any local high school was out of the question and I figured all the colleges would have parking lots packed to overflowing. Bobbie made a suggestion to use a recreation center field, so that's where we went.

When we arrived there were signs to stay off the field unless you had a permit. The gate also had a padlock on it, but it wasn't latched. Since there wasn't too many people around, I figured we could just jump the fence and probably get away with it. Bobbie, however, saw some park employees and suggested we could just ask them if we could go out there instead. I sided with her on this one and low and behold, they had no issues with us going out there at all. We just had to finish up in about an hour since a school team had the field reserved for 3:00 p.m.

Coach Bobbie's feet on the playbook.

Once we got out on the field we realized the day was a lot hotter than we had thought. I think the black rubber bits in the turf didn't help as I'm sure they soaked up the sun. It didn't take us long to start sweating, but hey... this is football practice and coaching, is it not?

Bobbie began the set in her black tennis shoes on the sidelines. I did quite a few shots with wearing her shoes and then kicking them off. Once she was barefoot we began moving all around the field. Bobbie admitted that the ground was indeed hot, so I was right about those rubber bits retaining the heat.

By the end of the set we moved down by the uprights and then over to the benches. We shot a short clip and then packed up with about 15 minutes to spare. I was worried about players or coaches showing up early and wondering what we were doing on the field, but that didn't happen. We made our way back to the car to enjoy some much needed air conditioning and figured out what we'd do next.

After a quick pit stop for something to drink, we made our way to a nature center for the second set. Bobbie had brought a pair of black sandals she wanted to wear for one of her sets and I told her I knew a somewhat secluded spot not too far away that was scenic. She had never been there and wanted to check it out, so that's where we decided to go.

When we arrived Bobbie did a quick change of clothes and we made our way out onto a small overlook along the shoreline. Bobbie fell in love with the view, but once again, the sun was in full effect. With the near by trees blocking the wind, we lucked out there, but we couldn't hide from the sun.

Bobbie after pulling off her black sandals.

Bobbie took a liking to the unique bench on the overlook so we did the majority of the photos on it. Just like the set before, her shoes started on her feet and were eventually removed. I was trying to snap these photos as quickly as I could as we both had sweat pouring off of us at this point. 

As we were wrapping up the set I suggested that we save the third set we had planned for another day - a fishing set. She made me promise that I wouldn't let another girl do it, which I assured her I wouldn't. It's a theme we've been talking about well before she even posed for the first time. Oh well! Good things come to those who wait, they say.

Comments