PC = Piece (of) Crap

The blog below was originally published in Soles of Silk's Column section. It was archived and then republished here in 2016.

Well, well... I did the site's first update from my PC. I've had it for a number of weeks though, but with all the files still on my Macintosh and my familiarity with the Mac, I decided to keep working from the Mac instead. This week, however, I forced myself to change.

I had to download some programs to get all my USB accessories to be recognized by the computer and don't even talk about the issues of a PC reading Mac files (Macs read the PC files, don't you think it would go the other way too?). But after several hours of set up, I got to the point to go ahead with the update and things did not go as bad as I had thought they would.

There were some font issues going from one platform to the other, but unless you really get into reading the model's name and site copyright on each photo, you probably won't notice the change from Futura to Arial.

Actually, doing the design work has been a breeze. The issues I have are more with the operating system than the design programs, which are basically the same for both the Mac and PC.

Since I had some issues, perhaps some of you PC users can help me out with some questions I have here. I could sure use some pointers on several things, so anything you could offer would be awesome. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a way to color code folders? On the Mac you can turn folders different colors, but I didn't see this setting in the few windows I bothered to open. It is probably something simple too that I am just overlooking.

2. When I first brought in my HTML files that I designed in Dreamweaver on the Mac, it designated them as Adobe GoLive documents on the PC. I have both GoLive and Dreamweaver on the PC. But now all the HTML icons have changed to Internet Explorer documents - even the ones I just created in Dreamweaver. Does anyone know how to turn of the feature to change all HTML documents to IE?

3. E-mail has been a major sticking point. On my Mac I used Microsoft Entourage, which is the Mac OSX version of Outlook. Well, I set Outlook up on my PC and I can get mail, but when I attempt to send mail, it goes out and I also get a protocol error message that says the message is sent and refused by the server. There is no backup in the draft folder or anything. Is anyone familiar with this program? I have a feeling McAfee is the one screwing this up. That pain in the ass program throws windows up all the time telling you something is out of date, that there are updates available and that you have it turned off. Yeah, I turn it off to get the messages off and I get messages telling me it is off. I cannot win!

I hope this update goes live without a hitch. Please let me know if there are any issues that you may find. I don't think I had any problems, but then again, when someone else goes over things, they notice things you didn't. Thanks for the help everyone!



Join Soles of Silk today to see this and over 10 years of foot fetish content!

Comments